Sunday 22 May 2011

WARNING: London Black Cab Taxi Drivers


If you live in London you probably heard the horrible consequences of getting a mini cab in the streets. The best choice? A black cab. A London black cab is known for providing the best taxi service in the city. The drivers are required to undergo a rigorous tests to prove their competence which can take up to four years. Each individual's character is tested and checks are made regarding any criminal records.

For me this is all bullshit. To be honest I believe that a London black cab is as dangerous as any other mini cab. Why? Because being a young woman myself I had enough experience with them. The first one was when I lived close to Old Street Station. One night it took me 25 minutes to get home when it would usually take me ten. The taxi driver was going around in circles and there was no traffic. I told him I was calling the police and because he didn't take me seriously I literally opened the windows of the cab and tried to open the door from the outside.

The second time was when my friends and I were going to Zebrano to celebrate my birthday and we took a London black cab from my house because we were late. Unfortunately, I asked the driver if he could take a shortcut. He took the request so personal that he yelled and lectured me about his driving career. In the end he wanted us to leave his car. I had to apologize until we reached the restaurant. My last experience was when I was coming back from my birthday party and the taxi driver cussed at me because I didn't give him any tips.

The worst thing is that I know that these things would have never happened if I had a man in the car. These taxi drivers use their "masculinity" to scare women. They say you can write the taxi's number to report abuse but to be honest when you feel like you are in danger that is the last thing you remember to do. If you are a woman avoid getting a black London cab at night. If you are going by yourself make sure you know the area that you are going and if possible contact a mini cab company that you trust first.

Here are some companies that I trust:

City Despatch: (+44) 02070330333
Addison Lee: (+44) 02073878888

1 comment: